Saturday, February 14, 2009

Learning Online: Advantage and Disadvantage

An advantage of learning online is definitely the flexibility of schedule. It allows anyone to learn anything, and from whatever location they have available. I completed another online course just after I had my daughter. I was only able to do this because it was offered online. I liked that I could work around Lily's schedule, during naps and such, without any further disruptions of my schedule. I am also the type of person that works well by myself, and because of this, I am able to enjoy this type of learning.

On the other hand, a major disadvantage for me personally is the computer related gliches and failures. I don't know if computers hate me, or if I am completely ignorant to them, but something always seems to go wrong. For example, I remember writing a 10 page paper, and on the 9th page, the computer decided to shut down. I searched and searched for the paper after I rebooted, but it had been lost. Needless to say, I ended up pulling an all nighter. I also have a recent example using Blackboard. For the past week, Blackboard would not allow me to sign in and have access to the assignments and discussions. This aspect can be very frustrating and interfere with the sense of organization you need in order for an online course to be successful. Hopefully I will not run into any more problems, and always keep a backup!

No comments:

Post a Comment